Aprons Are All the Rage


Almost all of the ladies in my Thursday night sewing class decided to do aprons for their class project.  Forget the pajama pants and simple skirts of old, aprons are all the rage!  And why not?  Add some lace and Ric Rac and you can't go wrong.  Who could ever fault a woman in a pretty apron for having love handles and a bubble butt?  Unthinkable.

The problem with cooking for the last fifty or so years is that the wrong kind of aprons have been in vogue.  If some of the most flirty and feminine creations came from the era that said "Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care.  Looking attractive is a very important part of sewing..." (Singer Sewing Book, Mary Brooks Picken), imagine what great aprons could do for the art of cooking! IMO, it's a wonder a single tasty morsel of food can be found in the commercial kitchen.  Have you seen those abysmal outfits female chefs wear?

Of course, I don't like to cook nor do I feel the need to like to cook right at this moment, so I make aprons as gifts for other people.  They do make great bridal shower gifts.  Wrap one up with a string of pearls (fake ones, obviously) and a cookbook from their registry or put one in a mixing bowl with a scrumptious brownie mix.  The options are endless and cute, cute, cute.




This spring I got my hands on my grandmother's apron patterns.  I can't wait to make more!  Hmmmm....maybe for my sisters for Christmas...

Comments

  1. I can't wait to wear mine without a basketball under my shirt...then again I'm sure the neighbors get a kick out of me barefoot in the driveway, 8 month pregnant with a retro apron on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts