Bathroom & Bedroom Curtains

Anybody wanna see some random home decorating?

You do?  Wow, how sweet of you!

While my sewing projects have been few and far between due to some early pregnancy 'morning' sickness and general tiredness, I have done a tad bit of necessary home trimming since we moved into our rental home a couple of months ago. I've hesitated to post because my pictures leave much to be desired - as does my decorating - but I thought hey, who doesn't like to see DIY home decorating?  Aren't all of us looking for cheap and easy ways to make our homes somewhat presentable?

I'm sure you could do better, but here's my stuff for kicks and giggles.

First off, there is the bathroom. I must have some subconscious need to plaster pictures of it all over the internet.

I thought we would never find a house with a smaller bathroom than our last rental, but I was wrong.  They do make smaller bathrooms!  Among our new bathroom oddities is a shelf that looks like this:


Truly, there is no hope for it.

However, there is another set of shelving that had some potential: floor to ceiling 'gingerbread' shelves.



Is it just me, or is it weird that they disappear back into the wall?  Nevertheless, they are kinda enduring in a cottage-y sort of way. And Lord knows we need the storage space in this place!  The downside of course is that they are open shelves and I prefer more privacy in the privy.  Nothing like house guests staring away at your personal bathroom stuff while they use the toilet!  I had a few presentable baskets, but further storage buying was out of the question.  A curtain was the most cost-effective option.

I think I found the only fabric in my stash that did the trick without closing in the room!  I just put a casing at the very top and hung it on a curtain rod.


I found the fabric at a charity fabric sale but I didn't know what to do with it because it smelled a little bit old even after washing.  Isn't it totally interesting?  I don't know the technical name for it, but it is some sort of cotton.


Love it.  The best part is that I didn't even cut it.  I just hemmed it and put a casing in it. I even left the selvage edges. Maybe someday I'll re-purpose it into something more fun!

Bathroom done.  Now, for my bedroom.

I resurrected some curtains from my old house.  I made them from a white shower curtain I bought on sale at TJ Maxx or something.  I split the shower curtain down the middle and trimmed it with some pretty home decorating fabric I had purchased to make a bed skirt.  Originally, I just threaded the rod back and forth through the top of the curtains using the button holes already there (because it was a shower curtain).  It didn't look that great, so this time I scrambled around to find something to tie it on with.


I learned very quickly that ties take a whole heck of a lot of yardage.  These are made with wide bias tape, but I only had enough to do half of the ties white and half of the ties a caramel-y tan color.

Tasteful or tacky?  It's a toss up!

Oh well...at least the curtains are on the window.

I have some frilly curtains in progress for the girl's room.  And when I say frilly, I mean frilly!  Hope to finish them soon and post pictures of girly girly-ness!

Until then, happy sewing to you all.

Comments

Popular Posts