Thrift Sewing Machines

Found this little New Home, HF106 machine (made by Janome) at Salvation Army for ultra cheap yesterday.  The box said it sold for $129.99.  It is B.A.S.I.C. to say the very least, but the darling is pretty much brand spanking new and I couldn't pass it up for thirty bucks.  They had a higher end Brother machine too, but one of the dials was ripped off and something about the way "Tammy" was scrawled on it in pen made me wonder if it hadn't suffered some serious abuse at the hands of a home economics class.  Do they still have those?

I've looked for sewing supplies at thrift stores before, but never once thought to look for machines.  Will keep my eyes open from now on.  It may not be the brightest idea to buy a sewing machine without knowing why the original owner abandoned it.  What if the tension was irreparable and it's mother kicked it to the curb in frustration?!  I like to imagine this baby was purchased for some girl by a loving family member, used once or twice throughout college, and then given away to make room in a closet somewhere.  Or maybe it was owned by some scrapbooker who bought it in the spirit of crafting (scrapbooking can do that to ya), and then realized sewing is really not her thing...

Anyway, the jury is still out on whether or not I'll keep it, or pass it on to someone who needs it more than I do.

Comments

  1. Hi there!
    I am a beginner at sewing and so this may seem kind of crazy, but I have been searching high and low for the NewHome HF106 parts. I received the HF106 from my aunt without any of the parts, manuals, all of that fun stuff- just the sewing machine itself. I hate to see the entire sewing machine go to waste because of missing parts. If you still have the newhome, and possibly don't use it anymore, I would love to purchase the parts from you. I would greatly appreciate your help, so so much!!!

    If this is a possibility, email me at: lulgjurajtonka@gmail.com

    Thank you so much,
    Tonka

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts