Nursing Cover - A Review



Now that I've had a chance to break in my nursing cover, I thought I'd pop back in and letcha know how it has been working out for me, or shall I say us.  (Insert gratuitous baby picture, here. :o)


Before I go any further, I must confess that I don't know how I lived without one of this lovely covers for so long.  It is my new best friend.  I use it at home when I'm outside watching my older kiddos. I use it when we are out and about.  It makes modesty while nursing a somewhat achievable aim, and lemme tell ya, I'm all for that.

I like that it's uses aren't limited to nursing.


Construction-wise, it seems to be big enough.  The neck strap does it's job and I rarely even mess with the size of the strap.  I'm not sure the boning's contribution is all that significant, but I could be wrong.

However, there are two problems with the overall design of my nursing cover.

First off, after washing the clasp section no longer looked like this:


Instead, it looked like this:


Or at least it looked like this after I basically knotted it on the clasp.  The problem is that the strap is too narrow so that when it's washed, it folds in half and slips right through the metal hoops.  My guesstimate is that the neck strap needs to be wider - maybe double the width? -  in order to hold after washings.  If you decide to make a nursing cover via the tutorial I've linked to before, be sure to make some sort of adjustment to the neck strap so that it doesn't do this!

Secondly, I'd prefer something other than quilting cotton.  It wrinkles and starts to look worn after just one washing.  I think a nursing cover definitely needs to be made out of a fabric that is soft and breathable and baby spit-up absorb-able, but I would prefer something more wrinkle-resistant.  Originally I thought a knit of some kind might be kinda cool, but now I think there might be unwelcome clinging issues. Maybe a woven from the shirtings section would work?

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

You know how I love to find ways to make a good thing even better.

Comments

Popular Posts