I sent off another bride with her newly-altered dress this week and now I'm not quite sure what to do with myself!
Truth be told, I had a chance to pick up another wedding dress alteration gig for November but the bride called me on a particularly trying day in my world of potty training, homeschooling, and housekeeping and I told her I was taking a month or two off. A decision I am slightly regretting now that I realize I could use a trip to the hairdresser for a highlight or two hundred and a little extra spending money would be nice.
After that other big wedding dress job in March, I received a delightfully simple wedding dress in May, so I was good and ready for another biggie in August. That's the dress I just finished and it was a learning experience. Aren't all sewing projects? When friends asked what the bridal gown looked like, I explained that it was a tulle explosion. A very pretty tulle explosion of a wedding dress.
The bride arrived with a sweetheart strapless (lace-up) bridal gown and commissioned me to make long lace sleeves. (It also required taking in, hemming, and a six point bustle, but that was all pretty standard stuff. :o)
The original gown had corded lace so it seemed only right to match it with more of the same. I enjoy working with Alencon lace which is probably an excellent thing since I've been spending such large quantities of time with it this year!
|Photo Credit -- https://www.etsy.com/shop/lacetime|
The dangers of ordering online, right? We formulated a Plan B that involved using the net shawl that came with the bridal gown (yay for perfectly matching bridal net!) to create a lace fabric long enough for the sleeves she wanted.
I love that you can cut this kind of lace apart and piece it together and no one is the wiser, but gosh, I wish it were a faster process.
All said and done, with two yards of the original lace, I ended up with four yards of scalloped trim and fourteen appliques to work with. I arranged them, photographed them, and texted the bride a bunch of variations of this:
...and flipped the whole shebang over and sewed entirely on the backside. While propped on the couch watching TV.
|Oh bother. Ignore the late night photo cropping problems?|
I bet you wish you could see the final product! I wish you could too. Honestly, I forgot to take a picture of the dress when it was finished. This is all I have:
Can you tell what's going on there? That's the sleeve on top of the dress. We also put a strip of the scalloped lace across the front of the dress behind the original beaded sweetheart neckline. Maybe this will help -- this is the Vogue sewing pattern I modified:
|Photo credit -- Vogue Pattern V2842|
Ha! Well, you can't say I didn't try to show you ;o).
Alright kids, I have lemon bars to finish and a "good morning note" to write and a husband to wake up (he's out cold on the couch) and send to bed. The day is done over here.
p.s. 9/21/16 -- My bride texted a wedding day photo of her dress and she looked positively lovely. In a world of mostly strapless dress (which I'm not knocking, btw -- I wore one!) a dress with sleeves really does make a statement. Especially as the weather begins to turn. So pretty!